Making our maximum contribution to a better world
Effective Giving is a community of foundations and large philanthropists learning together how to apply our unique resources to make the maximum contribution to a better world.
It was initiated by Robert Boogaard (the founder of Jazi Foundation) and Kellie Liket (senior researcher at the Impact Centre Erasmus) and inspired by the thought leadership of the Effective Altruism movement.
How does EG aim to achieve this?
Our objective is for foundations and philanthropists to increase their effectiveness by committing to the values and principles of effective giving, using a 3 step approach:
1. Awareness: raise awareness amongst foundations and philanthropists in the Netherlands about what effective giving means, it’s core values/principles and what it entails to give effectively
2. Knowledge: collect and share (and possibly actively develop when needed) national and international knowledge, experience and best practices on effective giving
3. Discussion: stimulate discussion on the topic of effective giving
What does EG do?
Build a Community
Bring together a community of foundations/philanthropists to:
- Learn together how to give effectively
- Share their knowledge and experiences, and stimulate discussion amongst them
- Stimulate cooperation and collaboration between them
- Represent the effective giving community to stimulate and motivate others to commit to the EG principles
Work in Partnership
Build a coalition of partners dedicated to engage in and promote effective giving, some to contribute knowledge and expertise, others to reach the foundations/philanthropists. This coalition will consist of:
- Experts in the field of effective giving (national / international)
- Philanthropy advisors and charity desks
- Universities, researchers, consultants and impact measurement advisors
- Private banks, family offices, wealth managers
Create an Online Knowledge Centre
Manage a platform (www.effectivegiving.nl) and newsletter to provide access to and share:
- Effective giving principles and advice
- Books, reports, videos, groups, links, etc, on effective giving
- Articles by Dutch and international experts on effective giving
- Learnings, including examples of successes and failures
- Case studies, in-depth stories of organisational trajectories of becoming effective givers
Organise events to bring together experts and foundations/philanthropists, including:
- An annual national ‘Effectief Geven’ (effective giving) conference
- Seminars/workshops/webinars with experts on specific topics related to effective giving
Engage the Media
Generate awareness and discussion about effective giving through the Dutch national media